Significance of International Driving Permit

Getting an international driver’s licence is one way to overcome language and cultural barriers that arise when travelling abroad. Your name, a photo of you, and driving-related details are printed in 10 different languages on the permit. It’s recognised in more than 150 nations throughout the world. Even if you have no plans to drive while visiting a foreign country, you can still obtain a driver’s licence there to use as proof of identity when interacting with local authorities.

Make sure you have an International Driver’s permit before you leave the country by applying for one at the AAA office most convenient to you. It is highly suggested that you apply for this BEFORE leaving for your international trip. The national driver’s licence of the country in which you intend to reside for an extended period of time should be convertible to your IDP. It is important to remember that in the United States, IDPs are not intended to replace valid state licences, but rather to be used in addition to one. Therefore, if you want to drive in the United States, you’ll need both an IDP and a valid driver’s licence from a U.S. state.

Highly qualified, nationally recognised driver

An international driving license is sometimes left off of even the most thorough trip checklists. However, avoiding unnecessary stress and making the most of your holiday time requires careful planning.

An international driver’s licence is usually required if you plan on operating a motor vehicle while outside of your home country (IDP). Having one isn’t mandatory, but it can provide you some much-needed reassurance nonetheless.

If you are at least 25 years old and have a valid driving licence issued by a country that recognises experienced drivers, the state of Washington will recognise your prior driving experience. Cars and trucks in the C and R categories are the only ones affected (if held). Both a written and driving test will need to be passed if you want to upgrade your licence to allow you to operate a vehicle outside of the category for which it was originally issued.

For details on how experienced drivers from approved countries can apply below:

You can skip the theory and practical tests for your WA driver’s licence if your foreign driver’s licence has not been expired for more than a year (only for cars and motorcycles). Please note that this is only the case if it has been more than a year since your foreign driver’s licence was issued.

To obtain a driver’s licence in Western Australia if you are under the age of 25, you must take and pass both the written and driving exams, even if you hold a valid driver’s licence from a country that recognises experienced drivers (WA).

You should get an IDP even if you aren’t sure if you’ll need one. This is the best way to skip the boring parts and get to the exciting parts of driving in a foreign nation. For those who spend a lot of travelling for business or pleasure, they are a must-have. Their one-year validity period after issuance ensures that they will be needed at some point.